Easy Roast Beef Rump Roast
- One to two hours before cooking, open package, sprinkle all sides with salt, wrap it up again and let it sit out so it gets to room temperature. (Beef should be brought to room temp before roasting so it cooks more evenly)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Pat roast dry with paper towels. Use a sharp knife to make 8-10 small incisions around the roast. Put a sliver of garlic in each cut.
- Rub olive oil all over the roast and season with salt and pepper
- Place roast directly on the middle oven rack (no pan), fatty side up, and put a roasting pan on the rack below to catch the drippings. This allows hot air to easily circulate around the roast, so you don’t have to turn the roast as it cooks.
- Cook the roast for 30 minutes to brown it. Then lower the heat to 225 degrees. The roast should take somewhere form 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours additionally to cook. (The shape of the roast affects the cooking time. If your roast is long and narrow, rather than round, it may take less time to cook, so keep an eye on it)
- When juices start to drip from the roast it and it is browned, check the roast’s internal temperature with a meat thermometer. Remove the roast from the oven when internal temperature is 135 to 140 degrees.
- Place roast on cutting board and tent it with aluminum foil to keep it warm. Let it rest for 20-30 minutes before cutting. (Resting is important, if you cut into it too soon, the roast will lose more of its juices.)
- Thinly slice the roast to serve.